The Benefits of Focusing on Your Strengths
Can you name your strengths, or just your weaknesses? According to Susan Surtel, a professional coach on StrengthsCanada.com, “two-thirds of adults are not aware of where their natural talents lie.” She goes on to say that, “people who are less successful are usually not aware of their natural abilities and often try to fix themselves.”
If you want to flourish in life then you have to learn how to shift your focus from your weaknesses to your strengths. This isn’t to say you ignore your weaknesses, but instead you learn how to use them to your advantage. Below are some reasons why you should focus on your strengths.
Five Reasons Why You Should Focus on Your Strength
- You can function more efficiently when you focus on your strengths.
- You will begin doing activities or engaging with fulfilling things.
- You have a better chance of reaching your goals when you focus on your strengths.
- You may experience less stress while increasing the positivity in your life.
- You may see an increase in your confidence when focusing on your knowledge.
If you are new to the idea or you are struggling to focus on your strengths, consider focusing on just one thing at a time. Focusing on one thing and doing it well can lead you to increase your self-esteem and self-confidence. This can then lead to accomplishing or meeting your goal.
But how do you go from focusing on your weaknesses to your strengths? If you struggle with impostor syndrome then focusing on your strengths may seem like a battle. The good news is that there are ways to overcome this struggle. So, what other benefits can be found when you focus on your strengths?
Benefits of Focusing on Your Strengths
Here are several key benefits of focusing on your strengths instead of your weaknesses:
- It increases the likelihood of success in your personal and professional life due to boosting productivity.
- It increases your self-esteem and self-confidence as you see a higher rate of accomplishment.
- You remove personal or professional barriers by being able to focus on what you enjoy rather than what is handed to you.
- You begin to feel more understood in all areas of life, which can lead to a greater sense of belonging.
- Owning your personal strengths can lead to more opportunities in life for you, such as getting a raise or promotion.
- Your strengths can help you stand out from others in your profession or trade.
- Knowing and embracing your strengths can help you feel a sense of power and engagement.
- You can potentially increase your energy and give you a better sense of purpose in life.
If you struggle with knowing what your strengths are, consider taking an online quiz or seeking the advice of a career coach. High5tests.com offers a free online free strength test that will help you find your top five strengths.
The desire to be more successful in life can be met with resistance or self-doubt if you focus on your weaknesses instead of your strengths. Changing your mindset can make all the difference.
“Success is achieved by developing our strengths, not by eliminating our weaknesses.” ~ Marilyn vos Savant